Kerala style fish curry can be prepared in several ways.Fish curry with roasted coconut is one of the tastiest recipes i have ever tried.Mostly i prepare fish curry by adding some freshly ground coconut paste along with some masala.This time i thought of preparing it with some slight variation from my usual style,and ended up having a delicious and finger licking fish curry .
For making this curry ,here i have used Pomfret fish or Avoli what we say in Malayalam.This curry has a balancing flavour of spiciness and tanginess,and makes a good combination to have with rice.
grated cococnut-1 cup
dry red chillies -5(kashmiri&normal)
turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
chilli powder-1&1/2 tsp
coriander powder-1 tsp
finely chopped onion-1/2 piece
- Wash the fish pieces thoroughly and keep aside.
- Take a pan add 2 tbsp of oil,when the oil get heated up add freshly grated coconut,shallots,cumin seeds,curry leaves,dry red chillies ,tamarind etc.
- Saute it until coconut become golden in colour.
- Add masalas,turmeric powder,chilli powder,coriander powder etc.Keep the flame very low at this time to prevent burning.Roast it for 1 minute.
- Transfer the masala in to a plate and allow this to cool down.
- In a blender jar add roasted coconut masala along with 1 cup of water,grind this until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Take an earthen pot pour this ground coconut masala ,add enough water for the gravy.allow this to boil.
- Add salt.
- Once the gravy starts to boil drop the fish pieces one by one .
- Cover this up by a lid and cook for 6-8 minutes in medium flame.
- Gently mix this with a spoon occasionally.
- Do not over mix,fish pieces may break.
- Sprinkle some salt if required.
- Add some curry leaves.
- When the fish pieces are cooked well,switch off the flame.
- In a small kadai,heat 1 tbsp of oil,add finely chopped onions.
- Fry this until golden brown and pour it over the curry.
- Lip smacking varutharacha kerala fish curry will be ready to serve!!!!!!!!!
- Instead of pomfret we can use any other fish and prepare this curry.
- Here i have used coconut oil to give authentic kerala fish curry flavor.