Punjabi style simple and flavorful chana dal masala will beome quickly a go to recipe in your household.I am sure ,It’s tempting hue of spices and aromatic flavor will revive your taste buds .Let’s see how to make it:
Chana Dal -1&1/2 cup
Garlic cloves -3
Small sized ginger
Green chillies -2
Bay leaf -2
Turmeric powder -3/4 th tsp
kasmiri chilli powder -2&1/2 tsp
Coriander powder -1 &1/2 tsp
Mango powder -1 tsp
Oil- 2 tbsp
water -3 cups
cumin seeds -2 tsp
Dry red chillies -5-8
- wash and Soak chana dal for 20 minutes.
- Take a pressure cooker ,add soaked chana dal along with 1/4th tsp of turmeric powder and 3 cups of water .
- Pressure cook the dal until it is nice and soft but not very mushy.It may take around 3-4 whistles .
- Add 3 tbsp of oil in a large pan on a medium heat ,temper it with some bayleaves .
- Then add finely chopped ginger ,garlic and green chillies.Saute it well to get rid off the raw taste.
- Next add chopped onion ,saute it till it becomes transluscent.
- Add some chopped tomatoes ,saute until it is soft and mushy.
- Spice it up with some masala(turmeric powder,kashmiri chilli powder,coriander powder and mango powder).
- saute the masala in a low heat for 2 minutes .
- Add cooked chana dal and pour enough water as per the desired consistency of the curry.
- Add salt
- Cover this up with a lid and bring this to boil for few minutes.
- Let the curry absorb all the flavors of masala.
- For tempering Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and dry red chillies ,pour it over the curry.
- Serve hot with some chapathi ,rice etc.
STEP BY STEP METHOD WITH PICTURES
Add1/4th tsp of turmeric powder and 3 cups of water .
Pressure cook up to 3-4 whistles .
Cooked chana dal
Saute all the veggies for few minutes .
Add masala .Turmeric powder ,Kashmiri chilli powder ,Coriander powder ,Mango powder .
Add cooked dal.
Simmer it on a medium flame for few minutes.
Pour the tempering over the curry .