Spicy boondi or kara boondi is one of the easiest snacks to be prepared with the staple ingredients readily available at home.Sweet boondis are my all time favorite which i prepare occasionally at home and serve after a lip-smacking south indian lunch. Boondi preparation is a litte bit tricky part in this recipe. .The batter should be in perfect consistency and at the same time oil shouldn’t extremely hot since that wouldn’t give us the perfect round shaped boondis.
This tea time snack is mainly prepared during festival seasons , especially during Diwali.Besan is the key ingredient required for this recipe.Spicy and crispy Kara boondis are the right choice to much along with a hot cup of tea compared any store bought snacks .
Besan- 1 cup
Water -1 cup
Rice flour-3 tbsp
Turmeric powder -1/4th tsp
Chilli powder -1 tsp
Baking soda-1/4th tsp
Oil for deep frying
Curry leaves -1 sprig
Dry red chillies-4-5
Garlic cloves -5-6
Peanuts -2 tbsp
- In a mixing bowl add besan, rice flour, turmeric powder, chilli powder and asafoetida, baking soda and salt.
- Pour water gradually and mix the batter really well until it forms into smooth and lump free mitxture. Batter should be in a perfect flowing consistency ,it shouldn’t be too thick or too thin either.
- In a kadai ,heat enough oil for deep frying boondis.
- Take a regular ladle with holes or boodi ladle ,pour one big spoon of batter through the ladle and gently spread it . Let the boondi droplets fall into oil.
- Fry for a while ,Once you see boondis turn into golden and crispy , transfer into an oil absorbing paper.
- Prepare all boondis in batches till the batter is over.
- For tempering ,Fry some curry leaves ,dry red chillies ,garlic ,peanuts etc. and mix it along with boondis.
- Crispy and crunchy kara boondis are ready to enjoy.
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS WITH PICTORIAL
Take a mixing bowl and add besan, rice flour, turmeric powder ,chilli powder ,asafoetida, salt and baking soda.