Today’s recipe is an instant kerala rasam which can be prepared very quickly and a great combination for any type of vegetable stir fry or thoran .I have not used rasam powder to prepare this instant south indian curry.Ingredients required to prepare this lip-smacking curry is as follow:
TAMARIND -A SMALL PIECE SOAKED IN WATER.
TURMERIC POWDER-1/4 tsp
CHILLI POWDER-1 tsp
PEPPER POWDER-1 tsp
COCONUT OIL-1&1/2 TBSP
MUSTARD SEEDS-1 TSP
- Heat a pan ,when it becomes hot pour some oil ,when the oil become hot add some mustard seeds ,splutter it .
- Add some cumin seeds, when it’s colour slightly changes ,add finely chopped garlic and green chillies.
- when it’s raw flavour and smell goes off add chopped tomatoes, when tomatoes become mushy , add some masala.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, pepper powder and salt.
- mix well.
- Add tamarind water and adjust the consistency of the curry by adding enough water.
- Allow this to boil for 2-3 minutes .
- Finally sprinkle some asafoetida /hing which will really enhance the flavour of this curry.
- Mix well.Finally garnish with some coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with some white rice, boiled rice etc.
- Tamarind juice should be added carefully, tomato it self has some sour flavour.
- Spice level can be adjusted according to your taste preference.
FOR MORE RECIPE VIDEOS SUBSCRIBE!!!!!!!!!
Kerala style fish curry can be prepared in several ways.Fish curry with roasted coconut is one of the tastiest recipes i have ever tried.Mostly i prepare fish curry by adding some freshly ground coconut paste along with some masala.This time i thought of preparing it with some slight variation from my usual style,and ended up having a delicious and finger licking fish curry .
For making this curry ,here i have used Pomfret fish or Avoli what we say in Malayalam.This curry has a balancing flavour of spiciness and tanginess,and makes a good combination to have with rice.
grated cococnut-1 cup
dry red chillies -5(kashmiri&normal)
turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
chilli powder-1&1/2 tsp
coriander powder-1 tsp
finely chopped onion-1/2 piece
- Wash the fish pieces thoroughly and keep aside.
- Take a pan add 2 tbsp of oil,when the oil get heated up add freshly grated coconut,shallots,cumin seeds,curry leaves,dry red chillies ,tamarind etc.
- Saute it until coconut become golden in colour.
- Add masalas,turmeric powder,chilli powder,coriander powder etc.Keep the flame very low at this time to prevent burning.Roast it for 1 minute.
- Transfer the masala in to a plate and allow this to cool down.
- In a blender jar add roasted coconut masala along with 1 cup of water,grind this until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Take an earthen pot pour this ground coconut masala ,add enough water for the gravy.allow this to boil.
- Add salt.
- Once the gravy starts to boil drop the fish pieces one by one .
- Cover this up by a lid and cook for 6-8 minutes in medium flame.
- Gently mix this with a spoon occasionally.
- Do not over mix,fish pieces may break.
- Sprinkle some salt if required.
- Add some curry leaves.
- When the fish pieces are cooked well,switch off the flame.
- In a small kadai,heat 1 tbsp of oil,add finely chopped onions.
- Fry this until golden brown and pour it over the curry.
- Lip smacking varutharacha kerala fish curry will be ready to serve!!!!!!!!!
- Instead of pomfret we can use any other fish and prepare this curry.
- Here i have used coconut oil to give authentic kerala fish curry flavor.