This kerala chicken curry prepared with roasted coconut gravy is my dear to heart.There are multiple variations for kerala chicken curry ,but this particular recipe is loved and prepared very commonly in most of the south indain houses .The gravy is mildy spicy and make a great combination for apppam ,steamed rice ,chapathi etc.For this recipe i have used very few staple ingredients which are readily available at any kerala households.
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Pepper powder -2 tsp
Grated coconut -1/2 cup
cumin seeds -1 tsp
Chopped onions -2 tbsp
Coconut Oil -2 tbsp
Garlic -6 cloves
Chilli powder -2 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/4th tsp
Coriander powder -2tsp
Sliced Onions -1 large sized
Ginger -1 small sized
Garlic -4-5 cloves
Green chillies -3
chopped Tomato -1
- Take a mixing bowl and add chicken pieces along with turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt.
- Mix well and keep the marination for 20 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a pan ,add grated coconut along with ,chopped onions garlic, cumin seeds, curry leaves etc.
- Once it turns golden brown add spices (chilli powder ,turmeric powder and coriander powder).
- Roast it in a very low flame.Once it becomes aromatic ,switch off the flame and let it cool for a while.
- Once it cools down ,grind and make a thick paste out of it.
- Take all the sliced veggies and add into marinated chicken pieces.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and let it cook for 10 minute in a medium flame.
- Once chicken become tender add ground coconut paste and let it cook for another 5 minutes in a medium flame.
- Once the curry starts to boil ,check the taste ,add salt if required.
- Finally fry some onions and pour it over the curry.
- Serve hot with some appam, chapathi, steamed rice etc.
FOR VIDEO RECIPES VISIT: