Flavor rich south indian Udupi sambar is perfectly balanced with spiciness ,tanginess and the subtle flavor of sweetness .Sambar is a very popular recipe in south indian cuisine ,especially in Kerala house holds it occupies a prominent role in their daily meals.
Udupi sambar stands out with it’s unique flavor of sweetness and spiciness from other south indian curries.
Many years back i had a chance to relish the lip-smacking flavor of this south indian dish from one of the restaurants in Karnataka.Then i tried to replicate it in my own style.My family absolutely loved it.
Here ‘s the recipe
Pumpkin -1 cup
Yam – 1 cup
Cooked toor dal -1 cup
Water -1 cup
Turmeric -1/2 tsp
Asafoetida -1/4th tsp
Jaggery -1&1/2 tsp
Grated coconut -1/3 rd cup
Dry red chillies -5-6
Chana dal -1 tbsp
Urad dal -1 tbsp
Coriander seeds -2 tbsp
Oil -3 tbsp
Methi seed-1 tsp
Cumin seeds -1 tsp
Tamarind(gooseberry sized ) soaked in hot water for 10 mintes.
Oil -1&1/2 tbsp
Red chillies -3
- In a pan add cubed yam ,yellow pumpkins ,turmeric powder ,salt and water.Cover and cook on a medium flame until vegetables become tender.
- Meanwhile heat a frying pan add 3 tbsp of oil .Keep the flame medium and roast all the ingredients mentioned for grinding until they become crisp and aromatic .(coconut ,dry red chillies ,chana dal, coriander seeds, methi seeds ,cumin seeds, shallots etc.)
- Keep stirring till it’s colour changes to golden brown.
- Once it is ready keep aside and let it cool down .
- Now add mashed toor dal in the vegetables .
- Next take a blender jar and add all the fried masala along with soaked tamarind and 1/2 cup of water.
- Grind and make a fine smooth masala.
- Add ground masala ,at this stage you can add some water to adjust the consistency of sambar.Add salt if required.
- Cover and cook sambar almost 5 minutes .
- Add asafoetida which will really enhance the flavor of the curry and aids for digestion.
- Finally add jaggery powder and give the sambar a nice mix.
- For tempering ,in a tadka pan heat some oil ,add mustard seeds, cumin seeds dry red chillies ,curry leaves.Once the mustard seeds crackle pour it over the curry.
- Serve hot with idli ,dosa ,steamed rice etc.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTION WITH PICTURES